Sunday, March 24, 2013

My love letter to the TERMINATOR soundtrack

© Orion Pictures - 1984
If there's one movie that's shaped my early days of cinema, it's James Cameron's "The Terminator."  I could go on and on about how the film is one of the greatest love stories of all time, but I want to give acknowledgement to the beauty of the Brad Fiedel soundtrack.  Before I owned "The Terminator" home video, I had the soundtrack on LP (yes, back in the super fresh 80's).  I listened to the music cues, and played back the different scenes in my head.  Who can forget the main melody from the film, that's repeated in different styles throughout the movie?  Melodramatic, "synthy," and eternally creepy, the music score perfectly complimented the film's sad story of Sarah Connor, and the damned plight of the human race.  But there was also a strength in the sadness, that clearly defined the soul of the human race conflicting with the emotionless machines.  This combination of amazing images, story, and music is what gave the film its staying power.  "The Terminator" was added to the National Film Registry in 2008, and is considered by many to be one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time.  Thanks, Brad Fiedel, and to the work of James Cameron.

No comments:

Post a Comment