Thursday, January 5, 2012

How To Light A White Wall Video


DIY White Wall Lighting from James Boyd on Vimeo.


So I shot my first video blog about creating a DIY white wall video (while gooned on cold medicine, so please forgive any incoherent rambling).  I had a large white wall in my dining room, and blasted it with 3 lights.  I used the Lowel Tota (750w) centered on the ground behind me, a 600w Smith-Vector Q60-SG behind me to the left of frame, and a 250w Lowel Pro blasting the upper right of the frame.  The goal is to over-expose the back wall by at least 2 stops, then use a correct exposure on your subject in front.  Try to include some separation between your subject and the back wall for maximum effectiveness.

For my key light and fill light, I used the Creative Light Softbox umbrella with (x4) Alzo daylight balanced bulbs (5500k color temp).  I was very pleased with this simple and inexpensive light that produces no heat, and uses very little electricity.  I connected the bulbs to a 4-socket adapter with a light socket stand adapter and umbrella holder.  All in, you're looking at $128 for the light, adapters & stand.







< Lighting Diagram for white wall video.











< x4 Alzo bulbs daylight balanced to 5500k color temperature.






< Creative Light Softbox Umbrella with x4 bulbs inside.  I used this for my key light.  For the fill light, I only used x1 bulb.





< 600w Smith-Vector Q60-SG light for the background fill.






< 250w Lowel Pro light for some additional blast fill on the wall.  I love this little light for its versatility.





< Behold the power of the awesome 750w Lowel TOTA light.










< DIY dining room studio.
















< The 5DMKII camera was sitting 10 feet back from subject (literally in my kitchen).  I shot ISO 160 with exposure of 1/50th second @ f/4.0.  Notice I used a Nasty Clamp for my Sennheiser 416 shotgun microphone.  I shot dual system sound with the Zoom H4N, and synced it in post.  I used the grey color board for focus, then removed it for shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment