Thursday, December 16, 2010

Roving Cameras Add Coverage To Productions

The folks over at PhotocineNews.com have posted an excellent article on the benefits of adding multiple camera HDSLR coverage to any production shoot.  The theory goes you set up your A & B cameras as usual, but then add roving "pick your shot" HDSLRs to add depth and speedy diversity to your coverage.  This technique worked very well for the 5DMKII "House" finale, and the George Lucas/Philip Bloom "Red Tails" shoot.  I experienced it first hand on a shoot I did for the PBS/ITVS series "Exposure."

EXPOSURE
While shooting production stills on "Exposure," I decided that I was wasting good camera angles, and felt compelled to shoot HDSLR video during the takes.  Since our valiant crew only had an "A" camera angle, I gave the director, DP, and editor a few more options in post-production by adding my 5DMKII footage.  Yes, it was sloppy and improvised, but if they needed a quick cutaway, my 5DMKII footage was there for them.

I highly recommend adding multiple HDSLR cameras to any production in order to flesh out your coverage.  These cameras are inexpensive, and coupled with a good zoom lens (and smart operator), you can get more interesting coverage from the same setups, without the hassles of a full crew and camera package.

No comments:

Post a Comment